But like with every project: along the lines of progress, you find things that you would like to change in the long run. As for the LEGO model, I found a couple of things I thought I should change:
- Looking at the list of brick types I have used, I would like to thin it out a bit. Ordering bricks is hard, I would like to allow for maximum re-usability of bricks by standardizing their use.
- I managed to “modularize” the compartment and the airlock in the previous two posts. But I noticed it would be even nicer if the compartment itself would be modularized so you can “grow” room by attaching compartmental modules of small size to some larger compound.
Now, modularizing the module even further means also modularizing some things that were “one” in the previous model: the side walls will have to become their own “module”, floor, rear wall and ceiling will form another one. Also, I need to worry about the connecting elements of the modules. In general, there are two ways of doing this:
- I can build the modules in a way that they will allow for connections with the typical LEGO “offset” building approach.
- I can build the modules in a way that they provide “connection” points using technical bricks and pins.
I have opted for the second one – my take on reality is that modules would have to be build “self-sufficient” and would then simply be connected using appropriate techniques.
The Center Section
First, I am going to build up a Center Section – that one is open to both ends and multiple of these sections can be connected to form a module. It starts out with two 6 x 10 Plates.
Base on these two plates, a total of 10 Slope Bricks and 4 Technical Bricks form the lower foundations. This leaves a small compartment under the floor that – if desired – can be used to simulate underfloor installations (e.g. using technical connectors).
The next step is adding floor plates, the yellow ribbon for the Classic Space flair and the boundaries for the Technical Sections as discussed in the previous posts. This time, however, the spacing (12 Studs wide) and the width of the Technical Sections (4 Studs) suggests that each one of the sections receives a full frame of vertical studs.
This pattern continues for 5 brick lines – making the Technical Sections one brick-line higher than in my previous attempt. This is owed to the double floor layer which has taken away one line in height. The section is topped with a 2 x 12 yellow plate, connecting all elements together. By the way: the construction is completely build from 1 x 1 Bricks with a Stud on the side (requires 20 bricks) and 1 x 2 Bricks with Studs on the side (requires 10 of those).
Now the nice thing with this modular approach (from my perspective): with the same set of bricks, you can build a second module if you want. Both can be connected with technical pins and with a reinforced roof structure (to come in a few steps) and the stands, the construction is pretty stable.
The Side Section
The Side Section starts out with a 2 x 10 plate. On top of that, two technical bricks for the connectors and inverted slope bricks are placed.
This is followed by 5 rows of bricks, leaving a single opening for a plug-in section. The corner needs to be carefully crafted – the inner vertical studs need room so the last column before the corner is a simple 1 x 1 brick.